If you’re like many of our patients, you won’t believe how fantastic your smile looks after getting dental veneers! You’ll want to keep your veneers looking great. Fortunately, it’s not difficult. Porcelain veneers are highly durable and should last for many years, with proper care.
To see if dental veneers are right for your smile, call Carmichael Dental Care at 334-600-1423. Our Montgomery, AL dentists can also advise you on how to care for your veneers.
Before You Get Veneers, Get Your Teeth in Shape
One way to keep veneers looking great is to make sure your teeth are in great shape before you get them. While most people can wear veneers, there are a few notable exceptions:
- You have weak teeth. If much of your tooth structure is missing or you’ve got large dental fillings, a dental crown might be a better option for you.
- You don’t have adequate tooth enamel. A lack of enamel will make it difficult to apply veneers to your teeth. Again, a dental crown is a possible alternative.
- You’ve got serious alignment issues. A veneer can correct minor misalignment, but you’ll likely need orthodontic treatment for more extreme issues.
You’ll work closely with our dentists to select the shade and dimension for your veneers. Once you get them you won’t be able to alter these features, so it’s important to make sure you get the look you want. If you want a brighter smile, whiten your other teeth before you get veneers. That way, you can match your whiter shade for an overall natural look.
Veneers Should Last at Least a Decade
Once our Montgomery, AL dentists apply dental veneers to the front surfaces of your teeth, they conceal all kinds of flaws, including chips, stains, gaps, and teeth that are crowded or worn-down. Because porcelain is highly durable, your veneers should last at least 10 years. Some patients wear them for even longer before they need to replace them.
Protect Your Teeth to Keep Veneers Looking Great
Though porcelain is durable, it isn’t indestructible. To keep veneers looking great, you need to avoid behaviors that can damage them. We recommend:
- Not chewing on hard objects like ice or popcorn kernels.
- Not using teeth for uses for which they aren’t intended, like opening a bottle or other containers.
- Wearing a mouthguard to protect teeth if you participate in sports.
- Getting fitted for a mouthguard if you grind your teeth, a habit that can destroy teeth (with or without veneers). We can take impressions of your teeth and make a custom mouthguard that will stop this damaging behavior.
Brush Carefully to Keep Veneers Looking Great
It’s important to brush twice a day and floss regularly. Be careful when choosing a toothpaste and toothbrush, though. In general, a gel product is easier on your teeth veneers than a paste. Avoid brushing with products that contain hydrogen peroxide and/or sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). Both of them may adversely affect your veneers. Pick a toothbrush with soft bristles to avoid scratching the surfaces of veneers.
Don’t Skip Your Regular Dental Exams
Regular dental exams are even more important. Professional cleanings will help keep your veneers looking great. In addition, our dentists can address any minor issues such as small chips or cracks or deterioration in the bond between your veneers and your teeth. It’s especially important to monitor your gums. If they recede, the spot where veneers meet your teeth may be exposed. The bonding material can stain because it’s made of composite, so it may show as a brown line on your tooth.
Interested in dental veneers? Call Carmichael Dental Care at 334-600-1423.